Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Dinner Possible: Yummy Garlic-Olive-Vodka Penne

Hello Fellow Fresh & Easy Devotees!

It's been awhile. What can I say, I live in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles and the nearest Fresh & Easy is on Hollywood Blvd. Needless to say it is a pain in the ass to both get to and to park at. Now I understand Tesco's position - this is a big ass city and real estate is hard to come by. But Oh How I have missed Fresh & Easy. Cash is a little tight this month--who am I kidding, cash has been a little tight for several months. And so I stopped eating meat. And fresh fruit. And salad. It was an all whole wheat pasta (I gave up white flours and sugars in May) all the time sort of diet.

Today I decided to make the trek to Hollywood and brave the tourists on Hollywood Blvd. in search of meat and produce at not just fair, but downright inexpensive prices. And boy am I glad I did! For $114 I got enough food for my dog and I for about two weeks. All I'll need to do is restock fresh garlic, kalamata olives, Parmesan cheese and diet coke. (Those are the 4 food items I cannot live without.)

Anyway, onto the recipe for a delicious pasta dinner made entirely with F&E products

Yummy Garlic-Olive-Vodka Penne

Ingredients
  • Fresh & Easy Whole Wheat Penne (I made about 2 1/2 cups-I like leftovers)
  • Fresh & Easy Vodka Marinara Sauce (I used 1 1/2 cups)
  • Fresh & Easy Olive Tapenade - the one from the refrigerated case with the cheeses. (There is also one that comes in a jar and is sold near the pestos.)
  • Fresh & Easy Shredded Parmesan Cheese
  • Fresh & Easy Shredded Asiago cheese
  • Fresh Garlic, minced (I used about 15 cloves. I am a garlic FIEND)
Cook the penne per the instructions on the package, except add 1/3rd of the minced fresh garlic to the water as it is boiling.

In a saucepan combine 1 1/2 -2 cups of the vodka marinara, 3 tablespoons of the olive tapenade, the rest of the garlic, and a handful of each of the two cheeses.

When the pasta is cooked (approx 10 min), drain it and put the saucepan on the flame. Add the pasta to the mixture in the saucepan and toss to coat the penne fully. Add more of the Parmesan and Asiago cheeses and let heat for approximately 2 minutes.

Serve with a bit of cheese on top for garnish.

Buono appetite!!!

Amy

No comments: